A warming cumin, cardamom, turmeric, and ginger Somali chicken stew recipe by @bonappetitmag and tweaked by our favourite @gasmarksix using Spice Kitchen spices.
- 3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed if you want less heat, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1" piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 potato, peeled, cut into ¾" cubes
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into ¼"-thick coins
- 2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- 14-oz. can coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp. ghee (optional)
- 1 cup coriander, coarsely chopped, plus whole leaves for serving
- Steamed rice and/or spinach (for serving)
- Blend tomatoes, bell pepper, and jalapeños in a blender or food processor until almost smooth; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add ginger, cumin, curry powder, turmeric, and cardamom; season generously with salt. Cook, stirring, until very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add reserved tomato mixture to pot and stir well to combine. Stir in yogurt and tomato paste, cover pot, and simmer 10 minutes. Add potato and carrot and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are nearly tender, 15–18 minutes.
- Add chicken, coconut milk, ghee (if using), and 1 cup cilantro. Stir to combine, then simmer until chicken is tender and sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Season with salt.
- Divide rice among bowls. Spoon chicken, vegetables, and sauce over. Top with cilantro leaves.
You have to follow @gasmarksix for more insane recipes and gorgeous foodie pics!