Beef and Apricot Bolognese
Beef is an excellent source of B vitamins, protein, zinc and iron. This is a great meal for all-round healthy growth.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped 250g tin plum tomatoes
- 30g dried apricots finely chopped
- 150g lean beef mince
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp ground garam masala
- 1⁄4 tsp ground turmeric
- 150ml water
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1⁄2 tsp Baby Spice Kitchen Italian blend
- 50g grated carrot (about 1 medium carrot) washed, peeled, and grated
- Freshly cooked pasta, to serve
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium-low heat, add the onion and sauté for 3–4 minutes until soft and golden.
- While the onion is cooking, place the plum tomatoes and apricots in a blender (or use a handheld blender) and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the beef to the onion and fry, stirring and breaking up the mince to avoid lumps, until the beef is opaque. Remove any excess liquid then add the garlic, black pepper, garam masala and turmeric and cook for a few seconds.
- Pour in the blended tomato and apricot sauce with the water, stir in the tomato puree and Baby Spice Kitchen Italian blend, reduce the heat to low and simmer (covered) for 15 minutes.
- Add the carrot, stir and add some extra water if needed. Simmer for a further 10 minutes until the mince and carrots are tender. Serve on a bed of freshly cooked spaghetti, mash or chop as required, then watch your little one slurp away.
- You can freeze the remaining sauce for another time.
Recipe by Zainab Jagot Ahmed