Mamma Spice's Spicy Masala Chickpeas
Mamma Spice is famous for her Spicy Masala Chickpeas. This popular Indian dish makes use of a rich blend of spices to deliver the perfect amount of hearty heat.
- 250g dried chickpeas
- 1 bag of black tea (any brand is fine)
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 green chilli, roughly chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Soak the dried chickpeas in plenty of water overnight.
- Drain, rinse and place in a saucepan with water (approximately three times the amount of chickpeas) and the teabag.
- Bring to a boil, simmer and cook for 1 and a half to 2 hours, until they are tender.
- Remove the teabag and set the chickpeas aside.
- Blend the ginger, chillies and tomatoes to a fine puree and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat the oil. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for 20 seconds, before adding the sliced onions. Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes. Once caramelised, add the tomato puree, and cook gently for a further 10 minutes. Next, add all the ground spices and salt, if using.
- Drain the chickpeas and keep a cup of the liquid. Add the chickpeas to the pan together with the reserved liquid, and simmer for 30 minutes on a medium heat.
- Stir regularly, adding a little more water if the curry has thickened too much.
- Remove from the heat, ladle into a bowl and finish with a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of coriander.
Saffron Chia Muesli by Mira Manek
3 recipes with an umph of spice from Mira Manek for National Vegetarian Week National Vegetarian Week is upon us...
Butter chicken (serves 5-6) For the marinade: 4-6 chicken pieces, bone in and skinless 3 tbsp Greek yoghurt 2 tbsp...
Mushroom Pilau Rice
Perfect rice, with no draining required and perfect every time! Ingredients 1/2 mug basmati rice (for a more authentic flavour...
Classic Potato Curry by Binnys Kitchen
Ingredients: 8 small potatoes, washed and cut into small chunks. Keep the skin on. 1 red onion, chopped 3 tomatoes,...
Healthy Butter Chicken (MURGH MAKHANI) by...
Here is a recipe for butter chicken (murgh makhani) which is a popular curry featuring an authentic sauce and spicy...
Digaag Qumbe (Yogurt & Coconut Chicken)
A warming cumin, cardamom, turmeric, and ginger Somali chicken stew recipe by @bonappetitmag and tweaked by our favourite @gasmarksix using Spice Kitchen...
Rajasthani Beef Curry
A vibrant, fiery dish that offers a gorgeous alternative to the more traditional madras. Here at Spice Kitchen, we love...
Butter chicken is often considered to be one of those dishes that takes ages to prepare and to cook! This...
Spice Kitchen Marinade & Dip (especially...
Hi everyone Really great to meet so many people this weekend at Altrincham market. For anyone who wanted the recipe for my...