Spiced Lentil, Spinach and Cumin Soup
- 100g greek yoghurt
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- Squeeze lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small piece cassia bark
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 300g dried red lentils
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 200g fresh baby spinach leaves
- Rinse your lentils thoroughly in cold water according to the packet instructions.
To make the paprika yoghurt, whisk all the ingredients for the yoghurt and keep aside for later.
Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds and cassia bark. Once they start to sizzle, add the onions and garlic and a good pinch of salt.
Cook for 10 minutes until the onions have caramelised. Add the carrot, chopped tomatoes, lentils, turmeric, chilli powder, bay leaves and vegetable stock, along with the ground ginger. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Cook for 30-40 minutes until the lentils have cooked completely. Check the soup for seasoning and add more salt if necessary.
- Just before serving, stir in the baby spinach leaves.
- Enjoy with a good dollop of your lovely paprika yoghurt, and some pitta on the side.