Spice Kitchen - European
Spanish Bean Stew with Paprika
This popular stew is a great dish to serve for your veggie friends. If you do fancy adding some meat, why not try some gorgeously sautéed chorizo?
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500g white beans (any variety will do), soaked overnight
- 1 litre water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Next, add the garlic and sauté gently for a further 5 minutes, taking care not to burn.
- Once the onion and garlic mixture is cooked, gently add the salt, pepper, tomato paste, Spanish paprika and chopped tomatoes to the pan. Turn the heat up and reduce the liquid by half.
- Next, add the soaked beans and water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until beans are tender, about 1 to 1 1⁄2 hours.
- Then, add the lemon zest, and simmer for 10 more minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve with grilled bread.
- Optional: sauté some chopped chorizo and add to the pot along with the beans for a meatier version.