A delicious dip to dunk your veggies into! But equally awesome with pitta and flatbread. This recipe is a true Middle Eastern staple that’s super easy to make and great served as a starter, side or snack.
- 2 medium aubergines
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Smoked paprika,
- fresh mint leaves, and lime wedges to garnish
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat your grill to a medium heat.
- Take a fork and gently prick your aubergines all over.
- Place under the grill and cook until the skin is charred and the flesh feels soft to touch. Approximately 20 minutes. Make sure you turn the aubergines half way through the cooking.
- Remove and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, put your garlic, tahini, extra virgin olive oil and cumin into a pestle and mortal. Crush and bash until everything is combined.
- Once your aubergines are cool enough, cut them in half and scoop out the delicious flesh.
- Mix thoroughly with the garlic and lemon juice mixture and transfer to a serving dish. Check for seasoning and add a little salt and pepper if needed.
- Drizzle a little more oil over the top and garnish with the paprika, fresh mint, pomegranate seeds and lime wedges.
- Serve at room temperature with pitta bread or veggie sticks.