This delicious aubergine side makes the perfect accompaniment to a variety of dishes, but works especially well with Indian or Middle Eastern cuisine.
- 2 whole aubergines
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 onion finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped Juice of 1 lemon
- Cook the aubergine by placing them whole over an open flame on the hob, turning regularly until it’s soft and mushy. Remove from the heat and keep in a container until needed.
- Once cooled, peel the skin off and mash it with a fork or finely chop with a knife.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and sauté the cumin and red chilli until sizzling, then add the ginger, garlic and onion and cook until soft and lightly browned.
- Add the Kashmiri chilli powder and ground coriander and cook for a minute before adding the chopped tomato. Continue cooking until the tomato has broken down and is soft and mushy.
- Finally add the mashed aubergine, salt and garam masala.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.