Shredded Jerk Chicken Burger
Next in our #SpicesofChristmas series with Ahmad tea....
Spices of Christmas- Recipe 4
Packed full of Caribbean spices, this Shredded Jerk Chicken Burger makes an intriguing pairing with Ahmad's Apple Refresh black tea.
@sanjcooks came up with this fabulous recipe!
Love a good burger? This shredded chicken burger is packed full of flavours of the Caribbean with a special addition of a homemade scotch bonnet chilli jam! Sanjay
- 4 Bone-in and skin on chicken thighs
- 2 tsps Jerk spice mix by Spice Kitchen UK
- 4 Scotch bonnet chilli peppers
- 1 Red onion
- 6 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 Spring onions
- 3 tbsps Soy Sauce
- 6 tbsps Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsps Olive oil
- 3 tbsps Soft brown sugar
- Juice from half a lime
- 1 tsp ground all spice
- 1 tsp Spice Kitchen cinnamon
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
Scotch bonnet chilli jam
- 2 Scotch bonnet chillies
- 2 Red peppers
- 8 Cherry tomatoes
- 400 g Caster sugar
- 300 ml Apple cider vinegar
- Pat the chicken dry. Using a sharp knife, carefully slash the chicken three times over the skin so the marinade absorbs in to the chicken flesh
- Blend all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor.
- Add the chicken in to a large bowl and cover with the marinade. Mix the chicken well (avoid using your hands!) and leave to marinade for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Once ready to cook - if you have access to a grill machine, grill the chicken for 4 minutes until the skin is charred.
- Finish off cooking in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 - 17 minutes until cooked. If you do not have access to a free-standing grill machine, place the chicken thighs on to a baking tray and cook in the oven for 15 - 17 minutes. Then, transfer the baking tray under a hot grill for 2 - 3 minutes for a charred effect.
- Remove the chicken and place on a chopping board. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken well and mix well in to the released juices and marinade to soak up additional flavour.
- Fill brioche buns with lime mayonnaise, shredded chicken, grilled/charred pineapple, a simple slaw made from lime juice, red cabbage, red onion and salt and the chilli jam.
For the chilli jam:
- Remove the seeds, stalk and any white membrane from the peppers and chillies and roughly chop.
- Add to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Heat the sugar and vinegar gently in a pan until the sugar dissolves. Add the pepper mix and boil for 15 - 20 minutes. The mixture should have reduced by 1/3 and will be thick and sticky.
- Take the jam off the heat, then pour into a bowl or if you want to keep, add to sterilised jars and leave to cool before adding the lids.
For more yummy recipes follow @sanjcooks
Jerk Chicken Skewers, Garlic & Thyme...
This is an absolute summery banger!