Nila's Dairy Free Gingerbread Hot Chocolate Cake
A totally scrummy cake for the whole family to enjoy!
For the sponge:
- 100gm self - raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 50 gm Spice Kitchen UK Gingerbread Hot Chocolate mix
- 3 eggs - beaten
- 150 caster sugar
- 150 gm vegetable margarine
For the filling:
- 75 gm vegetable margarine
- 75 gm icing sugar - sieved
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A good dollop of Jam
For the dusting
- Preheat oven fan assisted 180 degrees C/ non fan 200 degrees C / gas 6.
- Prior to baking, line two approximately 20cms cake tins with baking parchment cake tin liners or grease and line the tins with non-non stick baking paper.
- Place the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and Spice Kitchen UK Gingebread Hot Chocolate mix in a bowl.
- Mix well using a whisk (this helps with the distribution of the ingredients).
- Add the beaten eggs and vegetable margarine.
- Using either an electric mixer or wooden spoon beat well until you achieve a soft dropping consistency (rather like a soft, smooth batter).
- Divide the mixture and with the back of a spoon smooth the surface evenly.
- Bake for around 20 minutes - the cake should be springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before putting on the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Now make the buttercream by beating the vegetable margarine, icing sugar and vanilla extract together.
- Assemble cake once the sponge is cool.
- Sandwich the two sponges together with the “buttercream,” mix along with a layer of jam.
- Using a sieve, dust the icing sugar mix over the cake.
Enjoy with a cup of Spice Kitchen UK masala chai!
Note: Because of the soft consistency of the vegetable margarine, I tend to store this cake in the fridge. Simply slice as much as you want and bring to room temperature - it only takes a few minutes!
For more delicious recipes and tips check out Nila's instagram @nilarossfood!