Kerala Pepper Lamb Fry with Black Kampot Pepper
The combination of curry leaves and Kampot pepper works a treat to give this dish its wonderful authentic taste.
- 500g diced lamb
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 green chillies, sliced lengthways
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, ground
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp black Kampot pepper, ground
- 20 curry leaves
- To garnish: chopped coriander
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, add the lamb and turmeric powder, along with 2 tsp salt and enough water to just cover the meat. Bring to a boil and put a lid on.
- Simmer until the meat is tender: approximately two hours. You can use a pressure cooker or a slower cooker for this stage if you wish.
- Once the lamb is cooked, heat another pan with the sunflower oil.
- When hot, add the curry leaves and red onions and sauté until the onions are caramelised.
- Slice the green chillies lengthways and add to the pan along with the black Kampot pepper and other spices, ginger, chilli powder and garlic. Continue to fry for a further minute.
- Next, add the cooked lamb along with any juices. Cook on a medium heat until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Then turn the heat to high and fry the lamb until dark and caramelised.
- Remove from the heat, garnish with coriander leaves, and serve with some lovely rice and raita.
Gujarati Dal by Mira Manek
Serves 4–6 as part of a thali What really sets this traditional Gujarati dal apart from other dals is its...
Kerala Beef Pepper Fry
We love to serve this classic Kerala dish when family come to stay. And you too will love these vibrant...
Mango shrikhand cheesecake by Mira Manek
Serves 4 Thick creamy yoghurt, mixed with honey and infused with saffron and cardamom, is layered on a crunchy date...
This dhal was the first dish I made in my birthday pan from @lecreusetuk and with my Christmas spices from @spicekitchenuk so was v...
Lamb Rogan Josh
Lamb rogan josh For the marinade: 500g lamb pieces with some fat and bones in ideally 1 tbsp garlic pureed*...
Dal Makhani (Black Dal)
Traditionally, this recipe was made only on special occasions due to the extra time needed for soaking the beans and...
Fresh Chilli, Turmeric & Lime Pickle
Follow Mita Mistry on her brilliant food blog Saffron and Spice. Original recipe link here. Can't have an Indian dinner without any...
Gunpowder Masala Lamb Chops, Saffron Mash,...
Let's be real, lamb chops seriously bang! I prepared these luscious chops from @owtonbutchers by double marinating them for optimum flavour. You...
Mumbai-Style Chicken Burger by Cyrus Todiwala
INTRODUCTION As far as I am concerned, Mumbai - a melting pot of cultures, religions and cooking - is the...