- 3 lbs. 3 oz. stewing beef, cut into chunks
For the paste/marinade
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 oz. ginger, grated
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped
- 1-2 scotch bonnet, roughly chopped with seeds
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 oz. celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp. soft dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp. salt plus extra
- ½ tsp. ground Spice Kitchen black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. ground Spice Kitchen all spice
- 1 ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tbsp. sunflower or vegetable oil, plus extra for cooking
- 4 tbsp. boiling water
- Put all the paste ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Thoroughly combine the paste with the beef and set aside for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight in the fridge (remembering to bring it back to room temperature before cooking).
- Place a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add about 2 tbsp. oil in the pan. Once the oil is hot add brown the beef in batches, transferring the browned meat into another clean bowl.
- Once all the beef has been browned all, place all the meat back into the large pan along with its juices. Add in the remaining paste and cook through for 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Next, add in ½ pt. boiling water and stir in well.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan with a lid and slow cook for about 1 ½ – 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Stir every 30-45 minutes and add more water only if the stew is drying out.
- Serve hot with rice and peas.
Recipes by @neyskitchen.official NEVER EVER disappoint