Indian Spiced Shepherds Pie
Shepherds pie with a twist...
A great dish for all the family, packed full of veg and a great way to introduce little ones to spice.
I prefer this to a classic shepherds pie, the topping is so much lighter. Kids prefer the classic version apparently but who’s cooking kids?! They still polished it off.
- 1kg Lamb Mince
- 1 tbsp oil
- I x large onion, diced
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp turmeric
- 4tsp Garam masala
- 5 garlic cloves, grated
- 1tbsp grated ginger
- 2 red chillies, de-seeded, finely sliced (add more for spice)
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 2 carrots, grated
- 500ml lamb or beef stock
- 200g baby spinach
For the mash:
- 4-5 large Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
- 1 sml cauliflower, cut in florets
- 2 x parsnips, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
- 100g unsalted butter
- 60ml whole milk
- 1tsp turmeric
- Nigella seeds & coriander to finish.
1. Heat oil, fry onion until soft, add spices, fry for 2 mins.
2. Add ginger, garlic, chilli, fry for 1min.
3. Add mince to pan and fry until browned.
4. Stir in tomato purée, grated carrot & stock. Simmer for 20 mins.
5. Meanwhile boil potatoes, parsnips & cauliflower until soft (approx 20mins).
6. Mash very well with milk, butter, turmeric & S&P.
7. Stir spinach into mince until wilted, season to taste.
8. Place mince into bottom of large baking dish, top with mash, sprinkle with nigella seeds.
9. Bake at 180 degrees for 30mins or until brown and crispy on top.
10. Serve with chopped coriander and green veg.
Check out @jugglingplates for more outstanding dishes!
Date and Tamarind Chutney
Sweet, tangy and oh so spicy! This is the perfect go-to store cupboard chutney that can be prepared in advance...
Easy and Lite Saucy Tandoori Chicken...
This is the dish we crave when we want an Indian takeaway, but it’s normally full of fat and cream...
Fresh Chilli, Turmeric & Lime Pickle
Follow Mita Mistry on her brilliant food blog Saffron and Spice. Original recipe link here. Can't have an Indian dinner without any...
This recipe slightly deviates from a traditional biryani, in that the chicken is marinated separately before cooking. It’s a dish...
Mamma Spice's Spicy Masala Chickpeas
Mamma Spice is famous for her Spicy Masala Chickpeas. This popular Indian dish makes use of a rich blend of...
An all-time favourite, and definitely one of ours, the legendary Tandoori Chicken.
Gujarati Dal by Mira Manek
Serves 4–6 as part of a thali What really sets this traditional Gujarati dal apart from other dals is its...
Cuisine: South Indian Yield / Serves: 2 liters Sambar Powder 1 tbsp chana dal 1 tbsp coriander seeds ½ tbsp...
Dal Makhani (Black Dal)
Traditionally, this recipe was made only on special occasions due to the extra time needed for soaking the beans and...