This recipe brings the humble yet versatile aubergine to the foreground. Grilled to perfection and finished with a simple sprinkle of mint.
- 200ml tamarind paste
- 3 tbsp honey (or brown sugar if vegan)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp onion/nigella seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 large aubergines, cut in half lengthways and scored
- 2 tsp salt
- Chopped mint to garnish.
- Rub the salt into the scored aubergine and leave for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, squeeze the aubergine to remove any excess water.
- Whisk all ingredients for the glaze and spoon over the flesh of the aubergine, making sure to get into all the cuts.
- Fire up the BBQ to medium and throw in a few wood chips (or a small piece of wood) for added smokey flavour.
- Cook the aubergines, cut side up, for 10 to 15 minutes until soft.
- Sprinkle over the chopped mint.
- Best served with flatbread, salad and some feta.