Traditionally, this recipe was made only on special occasions due to the extra time needed for soaking the beans and gathering together the ingredients. Pick a day when you can really indulge yourself in the experience of cooking this authentic recipe from scratch. You won’t regret it.
- 1 tbsp ghee (or butter) 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 black cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (or mild chilli powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water (or as required)
- 2 tbsp fresh double cream
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 cup whole black urad lentils, soaked overnight
- 1⁄4 cup kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 3 cups water for pressure cooking
- 2 tbsp salt
FOR THE TEMPERING
- 1 tbsp ghee (or butter)
- 1⁄4 tsp asafoetida
- 3⁄4 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder 1⁄4 tsp garam masala
- Strain and rinse the lentils and kidney beans. Place them in a large pot with five times the amount of water, bring to the boil and simmer until cooked (approximately 90 minutes).
- They should be soft and breaking apart, so don’t be scared to overcook them.
- Making the dal
- Place a large pan on a medium heat and add the ghee (or butter). As it begins to melt, add the bay leaf, cumin, black cardamom and cloves. Sauté for just a few seconds.
- Next, add the chopped onion and sauté until caramelised. Once onions are done, add the ginger and garlic paste and chopped tomatoes, and cook till they are soft and mushy.
- Then, add the turmeric, ground coriander and Kashmiri chilli powder, and cook for a further minute.
- Now it’s time to add your cooked lentils and beans. Carefully tip them into the pan, adding extra water if the mixture is very thick.
- Add the kasoori methi, some salt and leave to cook for about 15 minutes while you do the next step...
- Heat the ghee (or butter) in a small frying pan and once hot, add the rest of the ingredients. Let them sizzle for a few seconds before adding into the lentil mix.
- Before serving, swirl the double cream on top and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Tastes great with naan or your favourite rice.