Dairy free Gingerbread and Hot Chocolate Cake
Spices of Christmas- Recipe 5
Something delicious to make in the run up to Christmas – try this Dairy Free Gingerbread & Hot Chocolate Cake and enjoy a slice (or two) with Ahmad's aromatic Winter Charm infusion.
Made with Spice Kitchen Gingerbread Hot Chocolate this recipe comes courtesy of @nilarossfood.
"A totally scrummy cake for the whole family to enjoy! I love eating mine with a cup of Spice Kitchen UK masala chai!" Nila
For the sponge:
- 100gm self - raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 50 gm Spice Kitchen UK Gingerbread Hot Chocolate mix
- 3 eggs - beaten
- 150 caster sugar
- 150 gm vegetable margarine
For the filling:
- 75 gm vegetable margarine
- 75 gm icing sugar - sieved
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A good dollop of Jam
For the dusting
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven fan assisted 180 degrees C/ non fan 200 degrees C / gas 6.
- Prior to baking, line two approximately 20cms cake tins with baking parchment cake tin liners or grease and line the tins with non-non stick baking paper.
- Place the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and Spice Kitchen UK Gingebread Hot Chocolate mix in a bowl.
- Mix well using a whisk (this helps with the distribution of the ingredients).
- Add the beaten eggs and vegetable margarine.
- Using either an electric mixer or wooden spoon beat well until you achieve a soft dropping consistency (rather like a soft, smooth batter).
- Divide the mixture and with the back of a spoon smooth the surface evenly.
- Bake for around 20 minutes - the cake should be springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before putting on the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Now make the buttercream by beating the vegetable margarine, icing sugar and vanilla extract together.
- Assemble cake once the sponge is cool.
- Sandwich the two sponges together with the “buttercream,” mix along with a layer of jam.
- Using a sieve, dust the icing sugar mix over the cake.
Nila has tonnes of yummy recipes, follow her on @nilarossfood
Spicy Chicken Kebabs
Using a combination of fresh and dry spices really do help keep the chicken tender and moist. Make sure to...
A veggie treat for your BBQ that combines golden melting cheese with sticky sweet molasses.
Classic Turkish Menemen (Turkish Scrambled Eggs)
Classic Turkish menemen If there is an iconic food that Istanbulites would swear by, it is menemen; scrambled eggs cooked...
Roasted Tomatoes and Goat's Cheese Salad
A beautiful marriage of sweet roasted tomatoes, tangy goat’s cheese and peppery warmth. An indulgent brunch or weekend treat.
Caramelised Pumpkin, Goat’s Cheese and Winter...
It’s difficult to bring yourself to eat a salad during the winter months, but if you treat your winter vegetables...
She's outdone herself- these are mouth-wateringly good...
Spiced Oat and Raisin Cookies
Spiced Oat and Raisin Cookies
Just heaven! Pile these perfectly cooked mussels into a bowl and dunk some buttery crusty bread into the sauce for...
Vegetarian Shepherds Pie
A warming vegetarian shepherds pie. Feel free to alter the vegetables for whatever is in season and also adjust the...
Quail Eggs & Breakfast Radish
Quail’s eggs are awesome! Not only are they bursting with nutrients, they are the perfect size for a snack to brunch.