Cheap and dead easy to make - stuff our simple falafels into warm pittas with salad, or serve with couscous and hummus
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- 1 x 400g tin mixed beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp Baharat
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Handful fresh coriander – stalks and leaves
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and beans and transfer to a blender.
- Add in the lemon zest, sumac, Baharat, flour and coriander stalks
- Blitz until smooth, and then transfer the mixture to a bowl. Using clean, slightly wet hands, divide the mixture into 8 balls.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Fry the falafels, turning regularly, until even and crispy. This takes approximately 10 minutes but adjust your timings to suit your particular hob.
- Serve with a crisp salad, or in wraps with your choice of Middle Eastern dips.