A simple, hearty recipe from Mamma Spice’s kitchen. If you are fond of potatoes, then you are going to love tucking into this faithful vegetarian treat.
- 4 large potatoes (Maris Piper or red-skinned are perfect)
- 1 tbsp ghee (or butter)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1⁄2 tsp fennel
- Pinch asafoetida
- 1⁄2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Boil the potatoes in their skin until cooked through. Leave to cool, then peel and dice into 1⁄2 inch cubes.
- Heat the ghee in a large pan and add the cumin seeds, cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, fennel and asafoetida.
- When they start to crackle, add the turmeric, chilli powder, ground coriander and dried fenugreek leaves.
- After 10 seconds, add the ginger, chopped tomatoes, and salt, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes and water, and simmer gently for 5 minutes. If you want the curry a little thicker, mash a few potatoes to thicken the gravy.
- Finish by adding a squeeze of lemon and serve with rice or poori, garnishing with chopped coriander.