It’s all in the marinade. This simple satay recipe will blow you away with its abundant flavours.
- 1 cup peanut butter 1 cup water
- 2cm ginger
- 2 tbsp honey
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 5 shallots, cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 lemongrass stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sesame oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 500g – Beef Sirloin or Rump, cut into 1⁄4 inch thick cubes
- Blend all the ingredients for the marinade to a thick puree.
- Heat some oil in a wok or frying pan and add the spice blend.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, take off the heat and leave to cool.
- Once cool, mix in the beef chunks and leave for a few hours.
- For the sauce, blend all the ingredients together and add a pinch of salt to taste.
- To cook the satay, soak bamboo skewers in salted water for an hour.
- Skewer the beef on to the bamboo and cook on the grill until charred and pink (3 to 4 minutes).
- Take any excess marinade from the bowl and brush over the beef while cooking.
- Serve with lettuce and the peanut sauce.