Spicy Corn Masala by Binnys Kitchen
Sweetcorn is one of my favourite ingredients to eat with a gravy because of the wonderful contrast between sweet and spicy.
This is a simple recipe which serves 4 people. The trick in preparing it quicker is using a blender/food processor to prepare the ingredients. Perfect for a tasty dish after work and ready in under an hour!
- 1 1-2 cup of sweetcorn (I used tinned sweetcorn)
- 1 chopped green chilli (or 2 if u want it hotter)
- 1 chopped large red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup of coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon Spice Kitchen cumin seeds
- 2 large tomatoes pureed
- Handful of chopped fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves or kasuri methi (to give it a lovely flavour)
- One cubed red capsicum
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Spice Kitchen cumin seeds (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon Spice Kitchen garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Kitchen red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water at room temperature
- Pop a saucepan filled with water on the hob to boil and add the sweetcorn and a pinch of salt and sugar. Let this simmer for 5 minutes and then take off the hob and drain the sweetcorn and set aside.
- Now prepare the paste for the gravy by blitzing the onion, coriander leaves, cumin seeds, chillies, ginger, garlic in a blender or food processor till it is smooth.
- Heat the butter in a Kadai or large pan.
- Pour in the onion mixture and cook this on medium heat for around 4 minutes.
- Add the cubed capsicum to this and let this cook for a further 4-5 minutes, mixing regularly.
- Now add the tomato puree and methi leaves along with the garam masala, cumin powder and red chilli powder.
- After 5-6 minutes add the sweetcorn, sugar and salt to taste and 1/2 cup of water and let this cook until the water has evaporated.
Your spicy corn masala is now ready! Best served with chapattis or naan bread and a side of raita.
Recipe by Binnys Kitchen - click here for more recipes.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.