Spicy Corn Masala by Binnys Kitchen
Sweetcorn is one of my favourite ingredients to eat with a gravy because of the wonderful contrast between sweet and spicy.
This is a simple recipe which serves 4 people. The trick in preparing it quicker is using a blender/food processor to prepare the ingredients. Perfect for a tasty dish after work and ready in under an hour!
- 1 1-2 cup of sweetcorn (I used tinned sweetcorn)
- 1 chopped green chilli (or 2 if u want it hotter)
- 1 chopped large red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup of coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon Spice Kitchen cumin seeds
- 2 large tomatoes pureed
- Handful of chopped fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves or kasuri methi (to give it a lovely flavour)
- One cubed red capsicum
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Spice Kitchen cumin seeds (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon Spice Kitchen garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Kitchen red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water at room temperature
- Pop a saucepan filled with water on the hob to boil and add the sweetcorn and a pinch of salt and sugar. Let this simmer for 5 minutes and then take off the hob and drain the sweetcorn and set aside.
- Now prepare the paste for the gravy by blitzing the onion, coriander leaves, cumin seeds, chillies, ginger, garlic in a blender or food processor till it is smooth.
- Heat the butter in a Kadai or large pan.
- Pour in the onion mixture and cook this on medium heat for around 4 minutes.
- Add the cubed capsicum to this and let this cook for a further 4-5 minutes, mixing regularly.
- Now add the tomato puree and methi leaves along with the garam masala, cumin powder and red chilli powder.
- After 5-6 minutes add the sweetcorn, sugar and salt to taste and 1/2 cup of water and let this cook until the water has evaporated.
Your spicy corn masala is now ready! Best served with chapattis or naan bread and a side of raita.
Recipe by Binnys Kitchen - click here for more recipes.
Hot Courgette Fritters with a Cool...
This December we’re bringing you #SpicesofChristmas – 6 sublime recipes from around the world to pair with Ahmad tea wintery...
Masala Lamb Cutlets with Mint and...
Juicy & tender Lamb Cutlets twice marinated for maximum flavour. Simple cooking – big flavours!
Devilled Sri Lankan Chicken & Coconut...
Warning this dish is totally scrummy and completely irresistible.
The flat bread that tastes good with everything....
SHEEKH KEBABS Ingredients 1 medium onion, quartered 2 to 3 green chillies, or to taste 4 large cloves of...
Spicy Potato Cakes- Aloo Tiki Chaat
It's a favourite Indian street food dish of mine, with the flavours just partying in my mouth. I could eat...
Sticky, sweet and grilled to perfection. Our marinade offers fast, flavourful results!
BBQ Chinese Pork Belly
Such a lovely way to use boneless belly pork for a yummy BBQ lunch with friends and family in the...
South Indian Rasam
A Mama Spice favourite. Rasam is a basic staple dish that’s both spicy and sour. We love it ladled into bowls...
Sri Lankan Prawn Curry
This delicious curry is deeply flavourful and aromatic. It’s super easy to cook and really versatile for any type of...