1 Onion, chopped finely
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 Tablespoons sunflower/vegetable oil
4 fresh ripe tomatoes pureed or 1/2 can of chopped tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 teaspoon of crushed ginger
1/2 teaspoon of chopped fresh chilli (if desired)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Spice Kitchen turmeric powder
1 teaspoon Spice Kitchen ground coriander & cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon Spice Kitchen cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon Spice Kitchen mustard seeds
1 stick cinnamon
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Fresh chopped coriander leaves
- Pour the oil into a medium, lidded pan and add the mustard seeds, cinnamon, cloves and cumin seeds and allow them to pop before adding the chopped onion.
- Fry for a few minutes until the onion becomes slightly golden. (If you want to bulk up this curry, add some chopped potatoes or chopped spinach at this stage and let this cook for a few minutes).
- Add the ginger, garlic and chilli and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, cumin & coriander powder.
- Simmer until droplets of oil appear at the top of the tomato mixture.
- Add the chick peas, along with 250 ml of water and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and coriander leaves to garnish and serve with Basmati rice and paratha or crusty bread.