Recipe credit @weaningaroundtheworld
🌱Vegan 🌾 Gluten free
Saag aloo simply translates to a spinach & potato curry and is the most comforting, fragrant and flavour packed dish, perfect as a side dish or a meal with rice.
I’ve been raised eating meals with all different herbs, spices and flavour combinations and my aim is to introduce a variety of flavours to my son too!
4-5 medium potatoes cubed
1 white onion sliced
300g baby spinach roughly chopped
5 garlic cloves minced
2cm piece ginger grated
1 tsp green chilli paste (adults)
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp Indian Baby Spice mix
1 tsp red chilli powder (adults)
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1. Par boil the potatoes until they just start to soften. Drain and allow to sit in the steam.
2. Heat oil in non-stick pan and add cumin and mustard seeds. Once they begin to pop, reduce heat to low and add onions (take care as they may splutter).
3. Sauté onions until translucent and then add tomato purée, garlic, ginger and chilli paste (if using). Cook for a minute.
4. Add turmeric, Indian Baby Spice mix and chilli powder (if using). Cook for a further minute.
5. Add potatoes and toss to coat along with 1 cup boiling water and half the spinach. Allow to simmer on medium heat until potatoes are cooked. Add more water if needed.
6. Once potatoes are cooked, add the remaining spinach, stir, cover and remove from heat. Serve warm with rice.