Little Saag Aloo by Reena Patel
Recipe credit @weaningaroundtheworld
🌱Vegan 🌾 Gluten free
Saag aloo simply translates to a spinach & potato curry and is the most comforting, fragrant and flavour packed dish, perfect as a side dish or a meal with rice.
I’ve been raised eating meals with all different herbs, spices and flavour combinations and my aim is to introduce a variety of flavours to my son too!
4-5 medium potatoes cubed
1 white onion sliced
300g baby spinach roughly chopped
5 garlic cloves minced
2cm piece ginger grated
1 tsp green chilli paste (adults)
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp Indian Baby Spice mix
1 tsp red chilli powder (adults)
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1. Par boil the potatoes until they just start to soften. Drain and allow to sit in the steam.
2. Heat oil in non-stick pan and add cumin and mustard seeds. Once they begin to pop, reduce heat to low and add onions (take care as they may splutter).
3. Sauté onions until translucent and then add tomato purée, garlic, ginger and chilli paste (if using). Cook for a minute.
4. Add turmeric, Indian Baby Spice mix and chilli powder (if using). Cook for a further minute.
5. Add potatoes and toss to coat along with 1 cup boiling water and half the spinach. Allow to simmer on medium heat until potatoes are cooked. Add more water if needed.
6. Once potatoes are cooked, add the remaining spinach, stir, cover and remove from heat. Serve warm with rice.
Will you be trying this? If you do, remember to tag @weaningaroundtheworld and @spicekitchenuk 😊
Spicy Potato Cakes- Aloo Tiki Chaat
It's a favourite Indian street food dish of mine, with the flavours just partying in my mouth. I could eat...
Raheel's Butter Chicken (Guinness World Record...
We have worked with Raheel to pack up his special Butter Chicken spice blend to make it as easy as...
Sri Lankan Aubergine Curry
As a lifelong vegetarian, Mamma Spice has got the heat in this aubergine curry down to a fine art, but...
Sri Lankan Prawn Curry
INGREDIENTS 1 large piece of ginger, peeled and grated 3 garlic cloves, minced 1 bird’s eye chilli, chopped 1 lemon,...
Sri Lankan Prawn Curry
This delicious curry is deeply flavourful and aromatic. It’s super easy to cook and really versatile for any type of...
Easy Masala Chai
Behold the dreamy chai. Warming, creamy, packed with natural sweetness and of course, perfectly spiced! In India, brewing Chai is...
Chilli Paneer Biryani
Biryani is a true celebratory dish and is ideal for any upcoming festivities. This is a hot and spicy paneer masala...
Easy, delicious and so cheap to make, you can have this as a side dish or a starter. Its spicy,...
Spicy Potato Cake - Aloo tiki...
Hands up if you’re a spicy potato cake fan, aka Aloo Tiki chaat?It's a favourite Indian streetfood dish of mine,...
Spice Kitchen Sweet & Sour Chicken
A sweet and scrumptious sauce well worth its status as one of THE most popular Chinese dishes of all time.