One Pot Caribbean Chicken
This is a really simple one pot dinner which is so handy if you don’t have time to be doing lots of cooking. This dinner can work with chicken thighs or legs: whichever you prefer. The recipe involves frying and then cooking in the oven so either use a pan that’s safe for both or fry off then transfer to an oven safe dish!
- 6 chicken legs or thighs
- Roughly 2/3 tbsp Caribbean spice blend for marinade Olive oil
- 350g rice
- 1 x 44g tin kidney beans (drained and rinsed) Handful of peas and sweetcorn
- 1 x 400g tin coconut milk
- 1/2 litre of low salt chicken stock or boiling water Half a leek or onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tbsp Baby Spice Kitchen Caribbean blend for rice Handful of spinach (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F
- Generously coat your chicken in 2 tbsp Baby Spice Kitchen Caribbean blend and 1 tbsp of olive oil adding more of both, if needed.
- Turn a pan onto high and start to fry off your chicken, pour any left over marinade on top the chicken.
- Make sure to regularly turn the chicken as you don’t want it to burn, you’re just frying off each side for a couple of minutes.
- While your chicken is frying chop your onion or leek and your garlic, drain and rinse your kidney beans.
- Once each side of the chicken has been done for a few mins take it off and place on a plate - they won’t be cooked fully yet!
- In the same pan fry your onions and garlic for a minute so they soften then add in the rest of the ingredients besides the chicken.
- Now either place your chicken on top and pop in the oven or pour into an oven safe dish and place the chicken on top.
- Pop this in the oven for 35mins or until the chicken and rice is thoroughly cooked.
- Enjoy served on top of a bed of spinach!