Bengali Potato Curry
A simple, hearty recipe from Mamma Spice’s kitchen. If you are fond of potatoes, then you are going to love tucking into this faithful vegetarian treat.
- 4 large potatoes (Maris Piper or red-skinned are perfect)
- 1 tbsp ghee (or butter)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1⁄2 tsp fennel
- Pinch asafoetida
- 1⁄2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Boil the potatoes in their skin until cooked through. Leave to cool, then peel and dice into 1⁄2 inch cubes.
- Heat the ghee in a large pan and add the cumin seeds, cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, fennel and asafoetida.
- When they start to crackle, add the turmeric, chilli powder, ground coriander and dried fenugreek leaves.
- After 10 seconds, add the ginger, chopped tomatoes, and salt, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes and water, and simmer gently for 5 minutes. If you want the curry a little thicker, mash a few potatoes to thicken the gravy.
- Finish by adding a squeeze of lemon and serve with rice or poori, garnishing with chopped coriander.
Masala Fried Eggs: With Crisply Fried...
Follow Mita Mistry on her brilliant food blog Saffron and Spice. Original recipe link here. My hangover breakfast.. with a strong black...
Shrikhand Ice Cream Sandwiches | Pillowy...
Follow Mita Mistry on her brilliant food blog Saffron and Spice. Original recipe link here. Summertime.. and it's almost like an Indian...
Fresh Chilli, Turmeric & Lime Pickle
Follow Mita Mistry on her brilliant food blog Saffron and Spice. Original recipe link here. Can't have an Indian dinner without any...
Healthy Butter Chicken (MURGH MAKHANI) by...
Here is a recipe for butter chicken (murgh makhani) which is a popular curry featuring an authentic sauce and spicy...
Date and Tamarind Chutney
Sweet, tangy and oh so spicy! This is the perfect go-to store cupboard chutney that can be prepared in advance...
Curry Leaves Chutney by Binnys Kitchen
Curry leaves are an essential part of South Indian cooking and add such an intense flavoursome and fragrant touch to...
Turmeric Latte by Neha D'Souza
A perfect homemade tumeric latte to warm me up today 💛 After trying many of these lattes I think I...
A classic Indian main or side dish of Bombay Potatoes.
An all-time favourite, and definitely one of ours, the legendary Tandoori Chicken.
This dhal was the first dish I made in my birthday pan from @lecreusetuk and with my Christmas spices from @spicekitchenuk so was v...